Here are some resources to help teach children about Bibi Sakina:
Here are some resources to help mark the life of Bibi Zainab:
- A puppet show on her birth:
- A poem about Bibi Zainab:
- Children’s Hour special on Bibi Zainab@
- A visual look on her life:
- An animation on her role in Kerbala:
- A short clip on Bibi Zainab by a Catholic priest:
- A book on Bibi Zainab (suitable for older children) can be downloaded here.
- Here is a craft idea – this was done after discussing her qualities:
- Here is another craft idea based on her timeline as sent in by a mum:
“My 6 year old daughter created this art on canvas showing Bibi Zainab (as) on Siratul Mustaqeem guiding us, through the lessons we learn from her life, all the way to Jannah!
She is holding an alam, and on her superheroine cape are written her titles, ‘Sharikatul Husayn – …Imam Husayn’s partner in his mission to save Islam’ and ‘Aalima Ghayr Mu’allima – One who knows without being taught’ (title given by Imam Zainul Abideen, as Bibi used to conduct Islamic classes for the women of Madina and Kufa and was revered for her knowledge and wisdom).
She also included Bibi’s famous, powerful and most profound words, summing up her life’s philosophy of placing Allah’s (swt) pleasure at the centre of all she did and thought: ‘I see nothing but beauty’ – ‘Ma ra’aitu illa jameela’ when asked by Ibne Ziyad at his court how she found the events of Karbala.
She drew and captioned pictures to create a simple timeline of her life, from her blessed birth to her death at 57 years.
Born on 5/5/5 – 5th Jamadil Awwal 5AH
At 7 years – Bibi Fatema (as), her mother, and Rasulullah (saw), her grandfather, pass away
At 12 years – she got married to Abdullah bin Jaffar e Tayyar and they had 6 kids including Awn and Muhammad
At 32 years, Imam Ali (as) became the khalifa and they moved to Kufa with him
At 35 years, the martyrdom of Imam Ali (as) takes place
Bibi then moved back to Madina to support Imam Hassan (as) in his imamat
At 45 years, Imam Hassan (as) is poisoned and passes away
At 55 years, she witnesses the tragedy of Karbala, Kufa, Shaam, back to Karbala on Arbaeen – Bibi established the institution of Majlis Al Husayn, Allah’s University! – and then return to Madina
At 57 years, she passed away – most say in Sham but there are also reports that she’s buried in Cairo, Egypt or Madina”
- One mum said: ‘We spoke about Bibi Zainab’s line “I saw nothing but beauty” and we should see beauty in everything because everything was created by Allah. We then made these binoculars using cardboard tubes, coloured paper and ribbon.’
- One mum said: ‘We held a small family majlis at home and talked about Bibi Zainab’s role in telling the people what happened to her brother, Imam Husayn. We did a little experiment to demonstrate how she established the concept of a majlis with the following simple story using a pack of Skittles, a plate and some warm water:
“After Bibi Zainab returned home, she gathered a group of people” (Put a handful of skittles on a plate)
“She told them to sit around her” (Get kids to help arrange the skittles in a circle around the plate)
“Bibi Zainab told them about what happened in Karbala. This made people sad and they began to cry” (Slowly pour warm water in the middle of the plate so it covers the whole plate and skittles)
“And as they cried, their love for the Ahlulbayt became even stronger and the message of Islam was spread” (watch as the colours from the skittles spread through the water to make a beautiful pattern)’
There are a growing number of resources out there to help mark this special month, here they are below:
- Kisa Kids have been releasing booklets for the last few years which are FULL of activities to mark the occasions of the months. They are available to download for free here. They also have banners, amal checklists, etc.
- Zair Zabr Play has a few free printables for Rajab, including a booklet on Me’raj.
- Here is one by Lunar Learners on Me’raj (Although there is much debate about Me’raj being on the 27th of Rajab, with the consensus being it’s not – that date is important for Mab’ath), you can use these on the other dates that have given for Me’raj)
- Some worksheets by UmAimen
- This awesome video which shows examples of the numerous acts of kindness that the Prophet did in his life!
- This Nasheed is a favourite!
- Great for young kids:
- That’s what Muhammad said:
- Beam of Light:
- This brought a smile to my face:
- This full length cartoon is a must-watch:
- The Message:
- Muhammad: The Messenger of God
- An interesting and beautiful video about drawing the Prophet. May bring up lots to discuss with your older children…I know it did with mine!
- A short clip on the Prophet:
Our beloved Holy Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) was brought down as a mercy to mankind. “And we have not sent you but a mercy to the worlds”
Posted by Ahlulbayt TV on Tuesday, 6 November 2018
- Never be ashamed of the name, Muhammad:
- Jean Claude Van Damme on the Prophet
- An entire stadium singing the praises of the Prophet (saw):
- A puppet show on the death of the Prophet:
Here are a few resources that might help when teaching children about the Prophet:
- How about starting the discussion off in a fun way, while still sharing SO much info about the Prophet? Here is an activity bag by Islam From The Start where there are objects relating to the Prophet’s ahadith in a bag, and the children pull each item out and guess the related hadith.
- Here is a whole e-book full of ideas and activities for children aged 5-7 years by Islam From The Start
- How about holding a Show and Tell on the Prophet? Children can bring in something from home that they can relate to the Prophet…
- Here are some good worksheets for younger children than can be printed and used.
- Here are a bunch of resources by QFatima on the Prophet, including workbooks for children and a card set for 40 ahadith.
- Here is a clear visual timeline on the Prophet’s life by Reflect14.
- Here is a book on the Prophet for older children.
- Here are a collection of resources from Kisa Kids, including project booklets, crafts and decorations.
- Here is an e-book on the character and akhlaq of the Prophet