Idea 5: A Good Deed Jar
I came across this idea some time ago on a blog, and filed it away as a cool thing to do. Then with Rajab approaching, I thought it might be a great way to encourage my kiddos (and ourselves!) to make the most of this month in terms of doing as much good as we can, as the 7th Imam has said: “Rajab is a glorious month. Allah doubles good deeds…”
When I went online to look it up, I actually found that lots of people have used these – with a great deal of success! Initially I wanted to make a separate jar for each of us, as the Quran says: “so compete with each other in good action” (2:148). However, my son reminded me that actually Islam encourages us to do good in secret and to not show off to each other, and so if we were all to use one big jar, no one would know who had contributed what. So in the end, that’s what we did.
We took a jar, and decorated it. When any of us have done something good, we simply write it on a piece of paper and pop it in. When it is full, we have promised the children that we will have a treat, whether it is going bowling, picnic, out for ice-cream, etc – we are focusing on the reward being spending time together as opposed to a purely material treat.
When looking online, I found lists of ideas that people can do, and decided to share some here. Maybe print it out and stick it up where everyone can see it and be inspired?:
1. Give someone a hug today.
2. Write a thank you note to someone.
3. Hold the door for someone.
4. As an elderly neighbour if they need any help.
5. Pick up a piece of litter.
6. Let someone else go first.
7. Share something that is yours.
8. Help clean up.
9. Clean your room without being asked to.
10. Say something nice to someone.
11. Call your grandparents just to say hello.
12. Give some money to charity.
13. Make mum/dad a cup of tea.
14. Hang your coat up.
15. Vacuum a room.
16. Unpack your lunchbox after school.
17. Help get your lunchbox ready.
18. Get dressed for school without being told to.
19. Take out the rubbish.
20. Play nicely with a younger child.
21. Say a dua for someone.
22. Read a story to someone.
23. Write a letter to a cousin and mail it to them.
24. Help with laundry.
25. Put someone else’s toys away for them.
26. Give someone a compliment.
27. Smile at three people today.
28. Say hello to someone first.
29. Make your neighbours something sweet.
30. Help your friend/sibling if they’re stuck with something.
Happy good-deeding everyone, and Jummah Mubarak!
P.S. This is the final idea for this series – unless you have more that is, then please send them in!