10 Things you can do for Miladun Nabi - By Tahera Kassamali
The birthday of the Holy Prophet Muhammad (s) is coming up. It is an occasion for happiness and celebration.
What are you planning?
Below are some ideas that may help us celebrate the occasion with family and/or friends in a meaningful way.
1) A Play on the Prophet – Choose a story from the life of the Prophet and get children (or adults) to perform a play.
2) Story telling session – there are many interesting stories on the Prophet. Hold a story telling session and make it exciting. A very good book on a story from the life of the Prophet written in contemporary style is ‘The Camel in the Sun’, about the Prophet’s compassion for a tired camel.
3) Quiz on the Prophet – Let the audience benefit from questions based on the life of the Prophet.
4) Poetry on the Prophet – Hold a session of Nasheeds, Qasidas, Spoken word, and poetry in praise of the Prophet. It is very effective in evoking emotion for the Prophet.
5) Film on the Prophet – watch a movie on the Prophet complete with drinks and popcorn.
6) 40 Hadith from the Prophet – hold a competition or learning session on 40 short hadith from the Prophet and learn/discuss them.
7) Art on the Prophet – Draw/Paint Islamic calligraphy on the Prophet. The internet has many good samples.
8) Fun day – Have games and other fun activities on the Prophet.
9) Talk/Discussion on the Prophet – Have a talk or discussion on the life of the Prophet with practical examples from his life relevant to today’s times. Include verses of Quran on the greatness of the Prophet.
10) Book club session on the Prophet – gather a few people and read together. Articles on the Prophet, a good book on the Prophet, etc.
Make the occasion a joyful connection with the Prophet and what he stood for.